Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 128

Thread: Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...

  1. #31
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...

    I went with 3/4" MDF for the port panel and a 6" diameter x 6.5" bakelite port tube.

    29

    30

  2. #32
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...

    That looks like some kind of phenolic material to me......... and after a quick Google search I see that Bakelite falls into that category.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #33
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    That looks like some kind of phenolic material to me......... and after a quick Google search I see that Bakelite falls into that category.
    Yep, you are correct. I buy, reroll and resell polyester Mylar film from DuPont that comes on these tubes. I'm not sure why they use it; I'm sure there are cheaper solutions. But considering it's DuPont, I'm sure they have a reason. Also, a roll of this film is about $3K so they can absorb the cost. I have several laying around the house, and while I could never find a use for them, I couldn't seem to throw them out because they're Bakelite.

    So all you pack rats out there have been validated once again. Keep on saving crap. You never know when you might need it

  4. #34
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...

    I removed all that nasty fiberglass insulation. I'll be replacing it with Ultradenim.

    This is what I've come up with for the internal bracing so far. The bottom panel had quite a bit of "bounce & boing" to it. It is dead now. These should also kill a lot of vibration at the bottom panel of the horn.

    The side panels still boing a bit. I'll be putting two braces per side between the horn flares and side panels.

    31

  5. #35
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...

    I'm not sure why they use it; I'm sure there are cheaper solutions.
    It's strong and inherently dimensionally stable.

    "Rags n lacquer" is what one of my old boss's always called phenolic material.

    In a previous life i spent some time running a "slitter" that used a rotary knife to cut bulk rolled paper and film stock from it's 6 to 10 foot wide master rolls into rolls of smaller widths for use in both offset printing and packaging on an industrial scale.

    Some paper/fiber cored rolls would have to spend a period of time in the environmentally controlled warehouse before the rolls would fit the mandrel of the slitter properly. The paper/fiber absorbs humidity, and in humid enough conditions it swells. If it swells too much, it may not return to it's original dimensions which will preclude some machinery from handling it.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  6. #36
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...

    That makes perfect sense. The film that came on the roll is .5 microns thin. 29,000' of it is about 3/16" thick on the roll. Dimensional stability would be a very good asset when handling it.

    Speaking about dimensional stability...here's a morning's work on cab #1.

    32

    This has turned out to be quite a project. It should be worth it. There is a nice dull thud when you bang on it now.

    I tell ya one thing; fine cabinetry, these things are not.
    Last edited by alancohen; June 17th, 2013 at 07:54 PM.

  7. #37
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...

    The front panel above the port panel was a little messed up. I thought of making a new one, then I thought of repairing this one, then I opted to just turn it over and paint the other side. It's been said, when you need to find the most expedient way to do something, ask the laziest person available.

    33

    34

    All painted. I didn't bother filling in dings and scratches; 'cuz then I'd have to worry about dinging and scratching them.

    35

  8. #38
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...

    Quote Originally Posted by alancohen View Post
    So all you pack rats out there have been validated once again. Keep on saving crap. You never know when you might need it
    HAHAHA. That's fantastic!!!! :-) I like picking up cat litter buckets........ they're just as handy as 5 gallon buckets, but have attached lids and fit in smaller places. They don't make very good port tubes, Though!

    - - - Updated - - -

    I've wanted to use the recycled denim for awhile. I think you are the first I've seen to use it and post pictures.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  9. #39
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...

    Quote Originally Posted by Audio_by_Goodwill View Post
    I've wanted to use the recycled denim for awhile. I think you are the first I've seen to use it and post pictures.
    The color matches perfectly. It's like it was made for it. And there's just something poetic about Altecs and an old pair o' jeans.

  10. #40
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: Bringing 828 cabs up to snuff...

    the blue sure looks nice.
    Sonic Barbarian

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28222319 times.